Monday, April 9, 2012

A Day in the Life

It’s Monday.  Monday is a light day for me, with only a single evening section.

4:45 p.m. – I arrive on campus, ease my car into a parking spot, and head into the classroom building.  The building’s quiet as there aren’t many people about for the day classes.  The admin assistant at the front desk waves hello to me as I walk in.

5:00 – The start of my office hour.  I come in a few minutes earlier than usual because a student emailed me earlier in the day.  He has to meet with me before class—it’s urgent, he tells me.  No problem, I reply.  I’ll be glad to meet with you.

5:15 – No sign of the student.  I’ve checked my email and reviewed my class notes for the evening.  I turn my attention to a few remaining homework assignments from last week that need grading.

5:35 – The last of the papers are marked.  Still no sign of the student.  I begin to aimlessly surf the web.  A You Tube clip briefly holds my attention.

5:40 – I’ve given up on the student coming in.  The afternoon lull has begun to lift as daylight fades and students and faculty arrive for evening classes.  A light snow is falling outside, and a narrow band of white begins to frame the borders of my office window.  I watch transfixed as the snow falls past.

5:55 – There’s quite a bit of activity now.  My office is next to the faculty work room, and the sounds of footsteps, muffled voices, opening and closing doors, and the whir of the copier meld into an amorphous drone.  Aroused from my window gazing reverie, I halfheartedly start a game of blackjack on my computer.

6:10 – Time to head to class.  With a resigned sigh I gather my books and papers, lock my office, and walk down the hall.  

6:12 – The classroom seems rather empty, with maybe eight or ten people lolling in their seats.  There are officially 27 students in the section.  Four or five went AWOL weeks ago and I don’t even count them as part of the class anymore.  Shaking my head, I switch on the classroom computer, load my presentation, and arrange my notes.

6:14 – The student who just had to see me during my office hour shuffles in.  I ask him why he didn’t stop by.  He shrugs listlessly and sits down.  A few more people file in behind him and take their seats.

6:15 – The appointed class start time.  As I open with this week’s announcements, I’m interrupted by a clutch of stragglers.  They’re impervious to my dirty stare.

I hand back last week’s homework and collect this week’s papers from those who bothered to write them.  Despite the generally lackluster quality of the submissions, I attempt to put a positive spin on things: “I’ve noticed a substantial improvement in your essays,” or something like that. 

6:20 – Announcements made and homework returned, I begin my lecture.  As I speak, my eyes survey the class.  It’s a fairly typical cross-section of Snowflake College’s “knowledge explorers.”  There are a few “mature learners” (i.e., those older than 25), as well as a couple of high school students earning college credits.  The quotidian demographic are the ones commonly referred to as “millennials.”   

In the front row, to my left, are Jeremy and Matt.  While I find both of them excruciatingly annoying, Jeremy is by far the more abrasive.  Not that I fully grudge him his shortcomings.  I, too, was once eighteen, spotty-faced, and childish.  The main difference is that I didn’t disrupt my professors’ lectures with inane chatter unrelated to the class.  Matt is quieter than his boyfriend, probably his only virtue.  Unlike some of their peers, they attend class faithfully.  I suppose I should be more careful about what I wish for.

Also sitting in the front row is Jackson.  (Just so we’re clear, Jackson is his first name.)  Jackson is a slow talking, slow witted boy who invariably sports Wranglers and cowboy boots.  He added the class late, telling me up front he didn’t want to be here and that he was only going to college to make his parents happy until he can join the military.  Jackson talks a lot about his career ambitions.  He’s dismayed at our withdrawal from Iraq but looks forward to taking on the terrorists in Pakafghaniran, or wherever it is we’re fighting right now…that is, if he doesn’t shave his head and climb a water tower with a rifle first...    

Lurking in the geographic center of the room are Britney and Tiffany.  B & T are normally quiet during class, absorbed as they are with answering texts, sending tweets, and otherwise fiddling with their phones.  They’re both bright enough, though not exceptionally so, and they could be “A” students if they would only bother to apply themselves.  Sitting cattycorner to their right is Linda, a gaunt, middle aged redhead who is mutely perplexed by her surroundings. 

And then there’s Todd…a petulant fellow with bad skin and a bored-with-it-all demeanor.   The inevitable product of years of self-esteem programs in public school, Todd treats the class as an unjust waste of his time.  When Todd looks in the mirror every day, he sees the center of the universe.  When I look at him, I see a pimply little weasel.  I suppose it’s a matter of perspective.  

Oh, wait…I have to pause here.  Madison just walked in the room!  He slouches past me, muttering something about having had to work late.  Madison is a diminutive youth who, if you dressed him in green, would be a dead ringer for a leprechaun.  His androgynous name caused a couple of embarrassing moments at the start of the term.  Madison sidles over to an empty seat, sits, and promptly lays his head down on the desk.  He’ll remain in this position, unmoving, his face in a small puddle of drool, until class ends.  

Let’s see…where was I?  Three of my best students ever actually sit in the back row.  Steve, Paul, and James are in their late thirties or early forties.  Each brings a wealth of real-world knowledge and common sense to the table.  Their comments and writing are clearly reasoned and articulate.  Students like them are the main reason I haven’t quit teaching in a fit of black despair.

Melissa is seventeen, the youngest member of the class, and she’s probably the student I admire most.  Melissa is an only child helping care for her chronically ill single dad while working part-time, attending high school, and taking college classes at night.  These challenges have made her just a bit more self-disciplined, not to mention kinder and more considerate, than her peers.  I wish someone would clone her.

Ashley sits in middle of the far right row, near the door.  A stereotypical tree-hugger in Birkenstocks at first glance, she’s the antidote to the run of the mill student.  Quiet and insightful, I always look forward to Ashley’s in-class comments and her well-written essays.

I’ve just described the standouts, of course.  The rest are faces without names or names without faces.  Over time, they’ll all fade into undifferentiated fragments of memory and I’ll wonder why I let them get on my nerves so.  At least, I hope so…

9:20 – I’m back at my desk.  I check my email.  Sandwiched among the belated excuses from absent students is a message from Jessica, the student association president.  The very thought of her triggers a twinge in my duodenum.  I delete the message unread and lean back in my chair. 

9:45 – A soft knock on my half-closed door.  I awaken with a start.  It’s the building security guard.   “Hey, Unassuming, you about done?  ‘Cause I gotta lock up.”

“Yeah, okay,” I mumble.  I pull on my coat and grab my briefcase.  I make my way outdoors.  My car and the security guard’s are the only ones left in the lot.  Driving slowly through the accumulating snow, I head home.    



© 2012 The Unassuming Scholar

No comments:

Post a Comment