Sunday, January 20, 2013

Generation Gap

My HMO recently assigned me a new doctor.  Well, he actually wasn’t a doctor; he was a physician’s assistant.  This fact wasn’t a problem in itself.  But being a careful consumer of healthcare services in the information age, I researched his professional background online.  What I learned gave me pause.

It turns out that my primary care manager, to describe his role in insurance speak, was born in 1987.  I would be placing my health in the inexperienced hands and technology addled mind of a Millennial, and that would not do.  I called my HMO, told the customer service drone on the other end I wanted a new doc, and to my pleasant surprise I got my way.  My new “PCM” is an actual MD, and she was born in 1961.  Her professional record is substantial and, as far as I was able to find, unblemished.

Problem solved, at least for the time being.  I know that this conundrum will recur as the years progress.  Eventually, the professionals of my generation or earlier will have retired and my only choices for doctors, lawyers, and accountants will come from today’s young’uns.  I am dreading the prospect.

I never thought I would feel this way.  After all, I’ve worked with young people throughout my professional life as well as in my community service activities.  More importantly, I’m a little disappointed in my own kneejerk judgments in light of my own youthful frustrations with what I saw as my elders’ misperceptions of my Generation X peers.

If you look at media depictions of Gen X from the Eighties and Nineties, you would have trembled for the future.  Personally, I was a little mystified by them.  Even relatively sympathetic pop culture depictions of Xers, such as the movies Reality Bites, Clerks, or just about any of the early work of Richard Linklatter failed to reflect my subjective experiences as a teen and twentysomething.  Nor did the literary emanations of Chuck Palahnuik or even Douglas Coupland, who did the most to popularize the moniker “Generation X,” fully resonate with me even though I enjoyed them on their own merits. 

I suppose it was because by my late twenties, I was a married homeowner with a couple of kids and a middle management job I’d held since graduating college several years earlier.  I was neither a slacker nor a techie.  I wasn’t financially dependent on my parents as I tried to make my breakthrough as a—fill in the blank—poet, musician, film producer, artist, or dancer.  I suspect the majority of people my age didn’t have these experiences either, any more than the typical Baby Boomer was a hippie other than perhaps in the sartorial sense.

But as I contend with increasingly callow groups of kids each semester, my resentment waxes while my hopes for the future wane.  Official expectations don’t help matters.  The executive dean at my small campus suffers from a case of youth worship bordering at times on ephebophilia.  (The semi-fictional Dean Kimpossible who occasionally haunts my posts is an all-too-slight exaggeration of an all-too-real person.)  My job security as a non-tenured prof consequently demands that I cater to the shallow intelligence and short attention spans of my young charges.  Standing on principle can lead to unemployment in academia just as easily as it can anywhere else in this economy.  I may be craven, but I’m employed.

What I find so hard to grasp is not so much their dependence on technology, but the way in which they use it.  I was inspired by the role of social media—Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, et al.—in organizing and publicizing protest during the Arab Spring.  By contrast, Millennials at home use it to ceaselessly document the minutiae of their daily lives.  The outcome is that, to a larger degree than any generation before them, the present youth cohort exists within a self-referential bubble nearly impossible to burst.  Collective narcissism, if you will.  Already driven to distraction by their toys, our Millennials have had their self-esteem propped up by parents and the educational system to the point where failure really isn’t an option; accordingly, it has all but been eliminated as a possibility.

So, why did I refuse the boy-PA as my primary care doc?  Was it necessarily his youth that made me ask for someone else?  Well, let’s just say it was a matter of premonition and a desire to avert the inevitable just a little bit longer.  Many of my students are self-declared nursing majors or they plan to go into some other healthcare field.  A few of them have told me they’re pre-med.  I guess someone has to do it.  And while I know that the rigors of training will pull the bullshit card on a few of them, I also know that many will get through nonetheless.  (There’s also the possibility that the medical and nursing schools will eventually have their own versions of Dean Kimpossible, in which case we’re all screwed.  I try to push those thoughts aside for the sake of my own fragile peace of mind.)     
I have this recurring scenario which runs through my head whenever I think of the day when I must entrust my health to today’s youth.  It goes something like this: I’m undergoing a major procedure, let’s say open heart surgery.  My life depends upon a successful outcome.  And the next-oldest person in the OR is twenty years my junior…


Scene: The Operating Room. 

Time: The not-so-distant future. 

The PATIENT is already prepped and on the table.  Enter DR. CHELSEA, DR. TIFFANY, DR. TODD, NURSE BRITNEY, and NURSE JOSH.


DR. CHELSEA

Dr. Todd, is the patient anaesthetized and ready?


DR. TODD

Yeah, we good.

DR. TIFFANY

 Wait…Chelsea, have you, like, ever done this procedure before?  Do you even know what to do?


DR. CHELSEA

(Scoffs)

Huh, yeah!  I totally looked it up on Wikipedia!


 DR. TIFFANY

Oh, wow! That’s such a great idea!  I’m so doing that next time!


DR. CHELSEA

(Smugly)


Yeah, well, that’s why I was first in my medical school class!

 (Turns to NURSE BRITNEY)


Scalpel, please. 


(NURSE BRITNEY seems distracted as she hands DR. CHELSEA the scalpel.)


 What’s wrong, Britney?


 NURSE BRITNEY

(Tearfully, her voice quavering…)


It’s Dr. Jared.  He…he…unfriended me on Facebook!  I…I…just don’t know what to d-d-do…


(NURSE BRITNEY’s voice trails off into a sob.  She buries her face in her hands.  DR. CHELSEA, overcome with shock, suddenly drops the scalpel.  It lands with a clatter on the instrument tray.)


DR. CHELSEA and DR. TIFFANY

(In unison…)


Oh…my…god!!!  What a jerk!


DR. TODD

(Scoffing)

Huh, Jared!  What a pantload!  You could do way better.


NURSE BRITNEY

 (Sniffles, smiles behind her facemask)


Thanks, guys!


NURSE JOSH

(Abruptly, in an alarmed tone)


Aw, dude!  Check it out!  The patient’s vitals are slipping!


 DR.  CHELSEA

(She is clearly annoyed by the interruption)


Josh, WTF!  Can’t you see Britney’s upset?  Stop being such an asshole, okay?


 NURSE JOSH


I’m just sayin’…


 DR. TIFFANY


Yeah, well, save it for later.  The patient’s not going anywhere.  And Britney’s hurting now!


(There is a loud, steady tone as the PATIENT suddenly flatlines.  DR. CHELSEA turns around, clearly agitated.)


 DR. CHELSEA


What now? Can’t this guy leave us the hell alone for two seconds?


 NURSE JOSH


Aw, weak!  He’s dead!


DR. TODD


What a dick!  He could’ve at least waited a coupla minutes before bailin’ on us.  Epic fail!!!


DR. TIFFANY


Hey, wait, this means we’re done for the day!  Let’s go out tonight!


 DR.  CHELSEA


Omigod, that’s great!  I just bought a low-cut dress that totally shows off my new tattoo!


(DRS. CHELSEA and TIFFANY grasp each other by both hands.  They jump up and down in unison)


Omigod!  Omigod!  Omigod!  A-i-i-i-e-e-e-e-e!


NURSE BRITNEY


And let’s go to the beach tomorrow!  I just got a new thong and a bikini wax!  I am so ready to forget Jared and meet some new guys!


(DRS. CHELSEA and TIFFANY begin jumping and squealing again.  NURSE BRITNEY joins in)


DR. TODD

(Jerks his thumb toward the now deceased PATIENT)


Uh, what about this choad over here?


 DR. CHELSEA

(Sighs disgustedly, snapping off her surgical gloves)

Oh, him.  I don’t know…just call it, already.


(Exit DRS. CHELSEA and TIFFANY and NURSE BRITNEY, shaking their heads in annoyance at having been inconvenienced)


 DR. TODD

(Motions toward NURSE JOSH)


Dude, like, cover him up or something!


(NURSE JOSH carelessly throws the sheet over the PATIENT’S head)


So, like, what’re you doin’ tonight?


 NURSE JOSH


I’m goin’ to a rager over at my cousin’s place.  He’s got this DJ playin’ there, name’s DJ Spazzz.


 DR. TODD


Yeh-yeh-yeh!  I heard of him! 


 NURSE JOSH


Yeh-yeh-yeh!  This dude’s, like, off the chain, yo!  You comin’?


 DR. TODD


Ai’ight!


 NURSE JOSH


S-w-e-e-e-t!  We outta here!

(DR. TODD and NURSE JOSH pull out their phones and begin texting intently as they amble towards the door.  Exeunt.  Fade to black…)


Fade to black, indeed…

© 2013 The Unassuming Scholar




No comments:

Post a Comment